Mold Could Be My Smoking Gun.

I feel sick just looking at this photo.

At any rate, I was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease in 2013 by one of the top Lyme specialists in my state. He treated me with the same protocols he has used successfully for decades. However, I didn’t get better. In fact, I got much worse. My doctor was perplexed by my lack of improvement, and eventually ran out of ideas for how to help me.

Fast forward to 2019. We moved to a new state and I started with a new doctor who had a new idea about why I wasn’t getting better.

My blood marker called C4a was elevated, which is not uncommon for Lyme patients. BUT, an elevated C4a can also be a marker for toxic mold illness, also knows is Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, or CIRS. In that light, my new doctor ran a full mold workup, and I tested positive on every single test.

Among other things, it turns out I have a genetic mutation that prevents my immune system from recognizing any biotoxin, including mold and lyme. Also, part of the mold work up includes a nasal swab for an infection called MARCoNS that lives in the nasal passages and is associated with mold illness. I have that too, in high levels.

This is massively significant.

As I replay the tape of my life, I can see I have lived in several houses that have had water damage and therefore mold. And since my immune system does a very poor job of eliminating mold, I’m basically carrying a lifetime of mold in my body.

Not good.

I asked my doctor if my mold diagnosis was a headline or a bullet point, and he said it is most definitely a headline. In fact, he believes my untreated mold is the reason I haven’t been able to regain my health.

As it turns out, many of my symptoms are commonly associated with both Chronic Lyme Disease and CIRS. And in cases where a patient tests positive for Chronic Lyme (which I did), doctors often don’t look further for other causes of illness (which happened to me).

It turns out we likely did enough to treat the lyme, and my remaining symptoms are due to the mold. Which means that treating the mold could change everything.

That’s the good news.

The bad news is my mold status has rendered me exquisitely sensitive to medication, which is very common. And mold doesn’t leave your body by itself. It needs to be shown the door through the use of of medication that binds it and pulls it out. That’s where the sensitivity to medication comes in. I become massively sick from micro doses of binding medication.

This is a problem that will greatly hinder my ability to recover. My doctor says it usually takes one to three years to recover from mold illness, and it’s more likely I’m on the three year plan.

Speaking of the plan, it goes like this.

Step 1: Remediate your environment. We’ve done that. Although, we recently moved and just discovered mold in the house in spite of having numerous inspections prior to moving. So, we are re-remediating. Ugh.

Step 2: Use binders to pull mold out of the body.

Step 3: Clear MARCoNS using a prescription spray.

I’ve been working on my mold program since summer of 2019, and frankly, I’m not doing well with any of the steps. My mold markers in my blood became elevated after we moved, which means I’ve had another exposure.

I was not able to tolerate the most effective binders. The binder I do tolerate is called Okra Pepsin, and it is less efficient that other binders, and I’m taking a pretty small dose, so I can’t imagine I’m making much progress.

I can’t even attempt Step 3 yet. I tried the nose spray, and became very sick after only two days at a fourth of the recommended dose. So, I need to get further along on Step 2 before I can try Step 3 again.

In short, my latest mold exposure along with my inability to tolerate the binding medication is putting me on a long and winding road. That is most certainly discouraging.

But, if my doctor is correct, I have a tremendous opportunity to improve my health if I keep on trying. Think about it. I have been collecting mold for years and have not been doing a single thing to get rid of it. That’s really good, right? At least that’s the way I see it. In my world, discovering an untreated condition provides an opportunity for healing that didn’t previously exist.

I’m going to hang on to that thought, even if my progress is slow and not immediately evident.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s