This is me in 2009. I was happy, healthy and fit. I had no idea that would all change in a matter of weeks.
My abbreviated story goes like this:
- My digestive tract shut down days after running a half marathon. Eating became nearly impossible. Weight fell off.
- The Mayo Clinic offered hope and a feeding tube and not much else
- A four year odyssey of doctors visits, diets and natural remedies ensued. I had some improvement, but no cure.
- No doctor was able to turn my digestion back on. My weight continued to decline. I felt sick every day. I was terrified.
- My life changed dramatically.
- I was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease in 2013. I thought it was the beginning of the end of my nightmare.
- Sadly, the Lyme treatment made me even more sick, as I was unable to tolerate any of the medications. And we tried them all.
- Many more years of trial and error ensued.
- I was diagnosed with Toxic Mold Illness, also called CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome) in 2019.
- My doctor believes I have had untreated mold for many, many years, and that it’s the smoking gun. Time will tell if he’s right.
- I started mold treatment in summer 2019, but I am extremely sensitive to the medication, and am not tolerating it well, so it’s slow going.
It has been a rocky road with many twists, turns, and disappointments. But I have learned a lot along the way, and have been helped by some of the most amazing angels. My hope is to use my story to help and inspire others who may be facing a similar situation.
If I could only tell you one thing, it would be never, ever give up. Some days seemed so bleak. So dark. So hopeless. But I kept on trying. I kept on fighting. While my health is not fully restored, I am much improved, and I will never give up hope.
My hope is that my hope will rub off on you.